Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 10

Today's topic is relations and functions. In the past I haven't felt good about this one, as I have trouble coming up with any creative ways to teach it yet, on the other hand, it just seems so straightforward to me that I can't figure out why students struggle with it so much.

We'll start with an opener that will review writing equations in slope-intercept, point-slope, and standard form, mainly because I do worry that the lack of repetitive practice I give students (i.e., not a lot of homework problems) compared to other teachers may harm their retention. We'll see.


Today's slides are most of the lesson, with basically just a rewrite of what I used to do with this topic, just updated with examples from activities I will have done this year. After we go through the basic definition of a function and some examples, I'll have them complete the Function, or Not Activity Builder (slightly remixed from the original by Daniel Henrikson).

For homework tonight I won't ask them to do a screencast but, instead, will ask them to see if they can "figure out" the vertical line test for functions. I'm curious to see how they'll do with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment